Solomon's "wise woman" laughed at the days to come, she feared not the snow for her household and all her charges are doubly clothed. (Prov. 31:10-30)
Are you ready for the colder days ahead? Here are some of my notes:
- Buy heating oil or firewood
- Have chimneys and heaters cleaned and inspected fire alarms
- Run car and home heaters while it is still warm enough to open a window to blow the dust out of the heater that accrues over the summer.
- Keep the heat from escaping your home with extra drapes, window film, storm windows, etc. as appropriate for you home.
- Extra blankets: on the couch for comfort, on the bed for warmth, in the car for emergencies and cold outings.
- Inventory fall and winter clothing and make sure everyone has a warm winter coat/hat/gloves/scarves/boots etc.
- Make plans to winterize the car: Antifreeze (about a 50/50% mix antifreeze and water is best for winter), driving gloves or steering wheel cover for those cold mornings, ice scraper, snow tires, new windshield wiper blades for the coming rain, kitty litter for traction in case you are stuck in snow, and if it gets really cold, lock de-icer.
- Warm pajamas for everyone
- Outside pipes wrapped
- Fragile plants wrapped
- Mulch for the garden
- Gutters clean to remove autumn leaves before winter.
- Door sweeps
- Insulation if you home is in need of it.
- And a tip added last year: stock up on canned goods and non-perishables for days when you are snowed in, or just to avoid a trip on icy roads.
What do you do to prepare for the colder months ahead?
I would love to see your tips! Add them to the comments below.